Show reviews that mention
green tree payment tree mortgage loan payments phone account bank customer service
Filter review

Property Taxes Review

Very high ESCROW gouging for inflated property taxes on a small irregular lot with compatibles lower in a hostile environment of over improved larger lower taxed homes
Chicago, Illinois
Pricing issue

Feds (FTC and CFBB) take action against GreenTree for Servicing Violations

See FTC report on Greentree -- https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-releases/2015/04/national-mortgage-servicing-company-will-pay-63-million-settle?utm_source=govdelivery. On April 21, 2015 the FTC announced at www.ftc.gov that "National Mortgage Servicing Company Will Pay $63 Million to settle FTC CFPB Charges. Green Tree Servicing Allegedly Deceived Homeowners, Many of Whom Were Already in Financial Distress" Read the announcement. There are links to the complaint and settlement. It cites alleged illegal and abusive debt collection calls, misrepresenting amounts owed, improper calling practices, mishandling loan modifications and delayed short sale requests, misrepresenting account status to consumers and credit reporting agencies and other things. Read the FTC announcement and don't rely on me.

I paid Bank of America a payment that was supposed to go to Green Tree. Bank of America cashed the payment Now the account is behind.

Last month, I was in the hospital and mailed the payment on 5-1 .

It sat in the outbox until the 5 th. Memorial Day. They received it on the 14 th and it took 4 days to process. Cleared my bank on the 18th.

Now I owe $31 in late charges, besides the mess above I will have to prove.

I have never been treated so badly in my life. I get threatening phone calls starting 1 week before our payment is eeven due.

They even call our relatives and threaten them. They have tacked on almost 4000.00 that we have no idea what it is even for. They have also added forced insurance that has brought our payment up substantially. We are at our Whittaker end.

We have tried to get our loan modified and it always comes back that we didn't provide something they needed.

We have lived here for 11 years and until they bought our loan never had an issue. Would love to know how to get someone to help us.

@PissedConsumer980084

They have the worst customer service representatives I have ever dealt with in my life. I would not voluntarily do business with this company, nor recommend anyone to finance their loan through them. My loan was sold to them as well and it has been nothing but problems since.

@PissedConsumer980084

I have had a couple of representatives lately who were very helpful in getting us back on track after I lost my job. Now they are telling us that we owe an extra $350+ of late fees.

I'm trying to call these reps now and all I am able to get is an automated line that will not let me pay anything but the normal payment as well as this mystery money. We are starting our search for a new mortgage company.

View more comments (3)
Preferred solution
Let the company propose a solution

Greentree Servicing - Loan Review from Bolingbrook, Illinois

My suggestion is to refi your loan ASAP if you are currently with Green Tree or your loan is to be sold to Green Tree. Horrible/threatening customer service, financial mishaps which they will blame you. ...lack of any communication skills. 5 minutes into a conversation and the representative/manager WILL turn ghetto on you. Be aware!

I was Countrywide sold to BofA sold to Green Tree. I have never had a late payment.

The first month Green Tree took over on BofA transition they cashed my payment but threatened to ruin my credit and treated me like a collections call when I called to ask why my payment isn't reflected on my mortgage statement. They found my check on someone else's account. I had to call twice a week for 2 months to resolve after promises every week it would be. Every time my credit of 780 was threatened when I called.

The next month I decided to do direct payment online from my account instead of mailing a check. Guess what, this time they cashed the check but said I never sent one! The treatment of a honest customer with excellent credit is horrendous. Once I settled with this deadbeat company I did a HELOC with USAA so it will never leave USAA and end up with this terrible company just to get rid of them.

I wasted many hours resolving their errors - oh and did I mention the constant collection calls? Once there was a website glitch with Countrywide when sending payment & between Countrywide and BofA they returned a double payment efficiently. There is no reason a proven cashed check should be this much trouble and cause so much grief over ruining my good credit. DEFINATELY REFI or find a way to get with a good company, because a refi.

could still be sold off and I didn't want to deal with the devil again.

If you get in my situation, be vigilant or you might lose your house. They are not to be trusted.

Bolingbrook, Illinois
Poor customer service

If your bank sells your mortgage to Green Tree, do a refi and get away ASAP!

Flagstar sold my mortgage to Green Tree and I have had nothing but issues with this company since. Written on every piece of paper from Green Tree is "This letter/notice/statement is from a Debt Collector" however, when I asked the Customer Service Rep (extremely abusive reps btw) I was told that they are not Debt Collectors. Is this even legal? When using their automated phone system and choosing "speak to a representative" the call suddenly drops (again and again). Search online -- Green Tree complaints, YELP, Facebook, etc. I have not seen ONE good review. Do NOT do business with this company. They are the single worst financial institution I have ever experienced.

File a complaint with the FTC or CFPB

National Mortgage Servicing Company Will Pay $63 Million to Settle FTC, CFPB Charges

A national mortgage servicing company will pay $63 million to resolve Federal Trade Commission and Consumer Financial Protection Bureau charges that it harmed homeowners with illegal loan servicing and debt collection practices.

The FTC and CFPB allege that Green Tree Servicing LLC made illegal and abusive debt collection calls to consumers, misrepresented the amounts people owed, and failed to honor loan modification agreements between consumers and their prior servicers, among other charges.

Under the proposed settlement, Green Tree will pay $48 million to affected consumers and a $15 million civil penalty. The company also will stop its alleged illegal practices, create a home preservation plan for some distressed homeowners, and take rigorous steps to ensure that it collects the correct amounts from consumers.

“It’s against the law for a loan servicer to lie about the debts people owe, or threaten and harass people about their debts,” said Jessica Rich, Director of the FTC’s Bureau of Consumer Protection. “Working together, the FTC and CFPB are holding Green Tree responsible for mistreating homeowners, including people in financial distress.” Green Tree has become the servicer for a substantial number of consumers who were behind on their mortgage payments at the time their loans were transferred to Green Tree. Because homeowners cannot choose their servicer, they are locked into a relationship with the company for as long as it services their loans. Illegal Debt Collection Practices According to the FTC and the CFPB, Green Tree’s collectors called consumers who were late on mortgage payments many times per day, including at 5 a.m.

or 11 p.m., or at their workplace, every day, week after week, and left many voicemails on the same day. They also unlawfully threatened consumers with arrest or imprisonment, seizure of property, garnishment of wages, and foreclosure, and used loud and abusive language, including calling consumers “deadbeats,” mocking their illnesses and other struggles, and yelling and cursing at them. The company also allegedly revealed debts to consumers’ employers, co-workers, neighbors, and family members, and encouraged them to tell the consumers to pay the debt or help them pay it. The complaint also alleges that Green Tree took payments from some consumers’ bank accounts without their consent.

The agencies also allege that Green Tree pressured consumers to make payments via Speedpay, a third-party service that charges a $12 “convenience” fee per transaction, claiming it was the only way to pay, or that consumers had to use the service to avoid a late fee. Mishandled Loan Modifications and Delayed Short Sale Requests According to the complaint, in many instances, Green Tree failed to honor loan modifications that were in the process of being finalized when consumers’ loans were transferred from other servicers to Green Tree. This resulted in consumers making higher monthly payments, receiving collection calls, and even losing their homes to foreclosure. Green Tree also allegedly misled consumers about their loss mitigation options.

The company told some consumers who were behind on their mortgages that they needed to make a payment to be considered for a loan modification, even for programs that prohibited the company from requiring up-front payments. In addition, Green Tree took up to six months to respond to consumers’ short sale requests despite telling them it would respond much more quickly. These delays caused consumers to lose potential buyers, miss other loss mitigation options, and face foreclosures they could have avoided. Misrepresented Account Status to Consumers and Credit Reporting Agencies According to the complaint, Green Tree misrepresented the amounts consumers owed or the terms of their loans.

This included telling consumers they owed fees they did not owe, or that they had to make higher monthly payments than their mortgage contracts required. The company often knew or had reason to believe that specific portfolios of loans it acquired from other servicers contained unreliable or missing information. In many instances, it should have known that consumers had loan modifications from prior servicers and therefore owed lower amounts. And when consumers disputed the amounts owed or terms of their loans, Green Tree failed to investigate the disputes before continuing collections.

Green Tree also allegedly furnished consumers’ credit information to consumer reporting agencies when it knew, or had reasonable cause to believe, that the information was inaccurate, and failed to correct the information after determining that it was incomplete or inaccurate – often when consumers told Green Tree about it. Proposed Settlement Order In addition to the $63 million in monetary payments, the proposed settlement order includes provisions that require Green Tree to: • establish and maintain a comprehensive data integrity program to ensure the accuracy and completeness of data and other information about consumers’ accounts, before servicing them; • cease collection of amounts disputed by consumers until Green Tree investigates the dispute and provides consumers with verification of the amounts owed; • meet certain loan servicing requirements to ensure that whenever Green Tree is involved in the sale or transfer of servicing rights, the buyer or transferee will honor loss mitigation agreements and properly review outstanding loss mitigation requests; • ensure that it has enough personnel and the technical capacity to handle loss mitigation requests and respond to consumer inquiries in a timely fashion, and make its loss mitigation application available to consumers at no cost and on its website; • implement a “Home Preservation Requirement” to provide loss mitigation options to consumers whose loans were transferred to Green Tree during the time period covered by the complaint; and • obtain substantiation for any amounts collected when consumers have in-process loan modifications, and for purported amounts due when there is reason to believe a newly transferred loan portfolio is seriously flawed. The proposed order also prohibits Green Tree from making material misrepresentations about loans, processing procedures, payment methods, and fees, from taking unauthorized withdrawals from consumer accounts, and from violating the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, the Fair Credit Reporting Act, and the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act. The Commission vote authorizing the staff to file the complaint and proposed stipulated order was 5-0.

The FTC filed the complaint and proposed stipulated order in the U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota. NOTE: The Commission files a complaint when it has “reason to believe” that the law has been or is being violated and it appears to the Commission that a proceeding is in the public interest. Stipulated orders have the force of law when approved and signed by the District Court judge.

To learn more, read Making Payments to Your Mortgage Servicer and Debt Collection. The Federal Trade Commission works for consumers to prevent fraudulent, deceptive, and unfair business practices and to provide information to help spot, stop, and avoid them. To file a complaint in English or Spanish, visit the FTC’s online Complaint Assistant or call 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-87*-***-****). The FTC enters complaints into Consumer Sentinel, a secure, online database available to more than 2,000 civil and criminal law enforcement agencies in the U.S.

and abroad. The FTC’s website provides free information on a variety of consumer topics.

Like the FTC on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, and subscribe to press releases for the latest FTC news and resources. More news from the FTC >> ________________________________________ SUBSCRIBER SERVICES: Manage Preferences | Unsubscribe | Help This is a free service provided by the Federal Trade Commission.

@PissedConsumer978006

Green Tree harrassed homeowners who had no history of late payments.

I wrote to them demanding that they provide a copy of the note of origin and proof of their legal ability to collect monies or 'service' my loan.

They did provide a copy of the note of origin as required by federal law, but they refused to provide legal proof of their assignment to service my loan citing security issues and that I didn't "need to know."

They called my home several times per week and we were never late making payments.

I was in the habit of printing a log of my payments to them on their statement and they wrote me a threatening letter claiming that I had made an inquiry. So I replied requesting a copy of the 'inquiry' they claimed I had made.

They never replied.

The best defense is a good offense: Keep good records or every payment and copies of every letter to and from them as well as Certified Mailing - proof of service. They can't deny receipt of payments if there is a signature on the return receipt card.

All the best - got to look out for one another!

View more comments (1)
Los Angeles, California

Other Product Review

Worst company ever SCAM artists Won't ever return an email or phone call
Phoenix, Arizona
Poor customer service

Well GreenTree stole my MOM's house...

Back in 2013 my Bank of America home loan was sold to GreenTree and everything when to *** They are the worse company I have ever dealt with. I tried 3 times to refi, with them and everytime I was told that they had not receive the info.. And the sameday I would receive a letter saying they needed my Mom 2012 and 2013 income tax return well at her age 92 at the time she did not need to file, well they finally foreclose and the loan that was 60,000.. they sold the house for 13000 dollars.. TERRiBlE company
Detroit, Michigan
Pros
  • No problems with payments
All of the above.

The Worst Mortage Service, How do They Stay in Business?

Since being with Green Tree they have repeatedly threatened to purchase hazard insurance for me at my expense while I have perfectly good insurance in place that has been there for 18 years. Only since I have been with Green Tree do I get notices from my insurance company that my insurance has not been paid on time, meanwhile I pay my payments on time! I am sick and tired of the *** service I get from Green Tree and I am actively searching for a way to correct this forever. I do not understand how these undeserving bastards can stay in business the way they treat the customers?
Hampton, Virginia

Denied refinance

Green Tree contacted me telling me how I was approved for a refinance.(we bought in about 8 years ago when rates were higher.) My credit score is over 800, i have never missed a payment, and i decided ok lets see what kind of deal they are offering. I gave them permission to check (and ding) my credit, and after putting me through a bunch of hassle and wasted time(based on their advertisement to me) I was denied because my "value of collateral is not sufficient". Te customer service was pushy to get me into this refinance, and the person i talked to when asking about my supposed collateral could care less to explain what was wrong with my property.

Mortgage Review

My mother has dementia and is forgetting to pay her mortgage. When we found out she was behind 5 months and Greentree started foreclosure process. Once we started the process they started calling her 2 to 3 times a day harassing her. They should be ashamed of their self. Shame on you.
Discovery Bay, California

Short in many ways

Got stuck with having my account sold to them and its been *** ever since. They were late to get my information switched over to them. Also this is the second year they messed up my escrow shortage payment which i made both times. Marked it the first time shortage payment the second time e-mailed them and neither time they put the money to the correct spot. On top of that the help is kinda rude and never seem to be able to fix the problem have had to call repeatedly to them to have to fix problems they create.
Sterling Heights, Michigan
Cons
  • Lack of customer service
Preferred solution
Let the company propose a solution

Terrible Customer Service

Not friendly or helpful. When I asked for an explanation on why my loan was on "lockdown" I was told (by a supervisor), "Only loan servicing knows that and you can't talk to them by phone. I asked for an email. Was told they didn't have an email. In other words, It is impossible to get an answer.My loan was sold to them. I couldn't access my account to set up on line payments. I was never late on my previous mortgage because I used the on-line payment feature. So that I wouldn't be late I was forced to pay a 12.00 fee to pay over the phone. We are refinancing and they couldn't provide the pay off for five days. No one could explain why. They are not a BBB company either- and there is a good reason for that.
Plano, Texas

Notice of Default After Miscredited Payments

I have a dozen properties and have all of my payments on automatic withdrawal. I had 2 of my loans transferred to GreenTree in the past year from Bank of America. I put both of those loans on AutoPay since it is nearly impossible to make a payment any other way without a fee and it seems like checks don't get processed correctly by the posts I read. Even with Autopay, they've miscredited payments to my account, and after multiple account adjustments for miscredited payments, they now show I'm past due and in default. I've never missed a mortgage payment in my LIFE!!! Getting this fixed has been an absolute nightmare and has wasted so much of my time. Needless to say it's still not fixed.
Indianapolis, Indiana

Greentree Servicing - Mortgage Review from Westland, Michigan

Sold out. Flagstar sold mortgage to green tree. Now one year into this and I have been slammed for late payments. Incorrect information. Rude disrespectful green tree employees, who lie chet, change the way things are going. Lost paperwork on a regular basis. Poor communication skills, if any. Totally and or screw up modification. Take your payments and give you a confirmation number. Then put your money in a separate account of which they send you copies of. Then you find out more expensive errors that they have made and when caught and you challenge them, they send you a letter stating your in error of failure to maintain your payments and are going into forcloser. Challenge it and next letter in forms you that you are now into a excelled forcloser and they are talking you're home in 30 days. Only to find out that in order to stop this, you have to file chapter 13. And green tree objects to it and next letter from federal court magistrate informs you that she isimply siding with green tree and ask for your chapter 13 to be dismissed. What is going on here. Who gave green tree the power of the court when they broke all the rules of not only my mortgage, but the rules of my character 13. Even trying to get me to pay them instead of the court. Not legal. Sending kids and cameras on my property taking pictures. And I caught them. Seems like green tree thinks that they are above the law. Who do they place money into the pockets of to get what they want. I have never seen such in proper business practices. Never thought I'd be treated like a criminal. Never thought I would send payments to anyone only to have the money put somewhere else so they could say you never made them yet the idiots send you paperwork and confirmed payment number. Green tree is not a advisable business for anyone to go to. That's why Iwant to join in a class action law suit against green tree lenders
Westland, Michigan
Problems with payment

Only that they are rinky ***.

I have had Greentree for about a year. My mortgage was sold to them from Flagstaff. I had some initial problems with my taxes but got them resolved with faxes and calls. I have to say they have never been rude and I have never had a phone call from them.With that being said, I pay my mortgage on the day it is due online through my bank.I just had a tax change and it was corrected very quickly. My issue is that they are antiquated and cannot even send my bill electronically. Other than that, right now my problems have been minor.
Eatontown, New Jersey
Order processing issue

Green Tree Sucks

I signed up for Auto Pay. The amount to be paid was to be done the 15th of April 2015. All went through and accepted by Green Tree. For some reason, I just did not believe them, as I have had issues with them in the past. I called them the 15th of April to verify the payment was done via Auto pay. They told me it did not go through. I had to pay them via telephone and absorb the terrible greedy amount from them of $24.00. This was the sole reason to go Auto pay, and it did not happen. They are crooked ***, and should be prosecuted for their actions. I asked that I be waived from this and told this could not be done, and if I did not like it, refinance with some other mortgage company. I have never been late with any payment ever, but I still get warning calls from them every time just before payment is due from some *** named Phil in the Carolinas or Alabama.
Lombard, Illinois
Cons
  • Lack of customer service